School Closure Decision Making Processes include:
– assessment of sidewalks & stairways
– assessment of parking lots
– assessment of bus routes (staff driving the routes)
– assessment of general driving conditions
– assessment of weather, current & projections
– consultation with neighbouring schools & districts
– consultation with principals
Some of the factors which make MEI unique when considering these decisions include the following:
– we’re not a neighbourhood school, but nearly exclusively a commuter school
– students travel from Chilliwack, Mission, Yarrow, Langley, & all parts of Abbotsford
– staff travel from Chilliwack, Mission, Langley, Coquitlam, & all parts of Abbotsford
Other factors all schools must consider:
– are we able to provide a quality learning experience if we have 1/3? 1/2? of our students in the building?
– if some teachers aren’t able to make it to school, do we have the support from our Teacher On Call pool to handle the sudden demand?
– can we confidently say that we made the best decision to open if an injury or fatality occur?
In difficult weather, our hope is to open our schools as soon as it is possible while considering all educational and safety perspectives. We thank you for your prayers and support!
Head of MEI Schools